Tuesday 20 May 2014

Imperfection is not an excuse.

"Yes I make mistakes. Yes, I go wrong, make wrong choices. But don't judge me, I'm only human."

Today, you'll find tumblr filled with quotes of this sentimental value and although they are not entirely crap, I don't agree with them. 
 I understand the fact that we are flawed, imperfect, and that we make mistakes unintentional or otherwise, but I think today we take this for granted. 

So what if you're flawed? Imperfect? It does not for a second give you the right to hurt another ones feelings, to walk right over someone else's sentiments and say, "oops, sorry, my mistake, but don't judge me, I'm only human."

I like to look at people as a collection of their imperfections, and not of their perfections. All our imperfections, all our flaws, and all the mistakes we make because of them, they don't make us who we are. It's how we choose to make up for them, to not let our 'flaws' hurt someone else. How we choose to become better people, better humans, everyday of our lives. Striving towards a better, less flawed, less 'imperfect' us. That is what makes us who we are. 

Our thought process shouldn't be, "okay I'm flawed, deal with it." It should be more of a "okay, I'm flawed, I accept it, and I'm going to do every little thing I can to become a better, more wholesome human being."

              Flawed are you and me 
              To cover up our mistakes 
              This line we too often use,
              But baby, imperfection is 
              Not an excuse                 


So I guess what I want to say is that to err is to human, but to work towards greatness, of any kind, whether by doing great work for others, whether by planting a tree, or by simply smiling at a stranger, that is the greatest of human potentials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment